Where can you get great looking images for your blog for free? Getty Images has just made available about 35 million images in its collection for use on blogs.
Getty Images is known for super high quality images, but the cost of these are through the roof. You’d be hard pressed to find an image you can license from them for less than $1000 bucks. It also has an extensive collection of celebrity images, which are typically hard to find to post legally.
How to get these Getty images?
2. Type words related to the type of picture you’d like in the search box.
3. Find an image you like and hoover over it.
4. If the image is available to embed on your blog you’ll see a little embed icon. Click on that icon.
5. Select the code (ctrl + a) and copy it (ctrl + c).
6. Paste the embed code into your blog (ctrl + v). Different blogs have different ways of doing this. In WordPress, you can simply choose the “Text” tab and paste the image where you want it to appear.
There are some drawbacks to using these images rather than using original images or purchasing royalty free images.
You’ll see that the image has attribution to Getty Images and may have some links to share or embed the image, just like the Getty Image at the top of this page. And if the image is clicked, it goes to the Getty Images site. As well, even though there are currently no ads on these images, but the terms and conditions say that they do have the right to post ads under the images and that may or may not happen in the future.
If you can live with those conditions, then you have a great looking image in your post. If not, then it’s better to purchase an image you need from a stock photo site like iStockPhotos or use Creative Commons images with attribution.
Where else could you get a free image like this? (From the Hulton Archive)